Preliminary Exercise #4: Focus on the Visualization of an Object
Choose the same object from the previous exercise. Find a quiet space where you will not be disturbed. Close your eyes and visualize the object for a period of 20 seconds with less than 2 breaks in focus. For this exercise, a break in focus is defined as:
1. The object changes shape.
2. The object changes color.
3. The object rotates or otherwise moves.
4. You cease visualizing the object.
5. You get distracted.
6. You cease to be mindful of your mental state (discussed in the second preliminary exercise)
> You will repeat this exercise for a period of 30 seconds once 20 seconds is mastered.
> You will repeat this exercise for a period of 1 minute once 30 seconds is mastered.
> You will repeat this exercise for a period of 2 minutes once 1 minute is mastered.
> ....and so on....
Remember to record your progress in your journal. Go to the next exercise when you can do this one with ease for a period of at least 5 minutes.